Monday, October 10, 2011

Fun with Pumpkins!

Last week our theme was pumpkins!  I read the story The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin and then gave my preschoolers square pieces of orange construction paper.  For some scissor practice, they snipped the corners off of all four sides to make their very own "Spookley" pumpkins.  Then they glued them onto a blue piece of construction paper and added their choice of a happy face or spooky face.  They also added stems.  Below are examples from my 3-year old class.  I thought they did a great job.  I found this idea in a Mailbox magazine and slightly modified it. 


Another pumpkin activity we did, is an idea that comes from Mrs. Tracy's Pre-K class.  I dotted numbers for students to trace, and then they got to stamp that many pumpkins with a circle dabber.  Although this was hard for some of my students who are still learning their numbers (those students tended to be the ones who got "circle happy" and went to town painting pumpkins,  we loved this activity, and I thought it was good number practice.


I wish I could have done more with pumpkins, but I only have my 4s three times a week and the 3s only come twice a week.  Tomorrow I will post what my 4s did for Columbus Day, and coming up later this week, I'll be posting our Fire Prevention week activities. 

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and love your pumpkin ideas. We are doing pumpkins next week. Thanks for sharing!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I hope you'll post your pumpkin ideas. I'm always looking for more ideas. It's a teacher thing : )

    ReplyDelete